Malawi Time

Blog is back in business! Now you get to find out about my adventures from across the sea! And, it's fun to move to a new spot, since then I will have a lot more stories to tell you!

Moving to a new country is a similar feeling to tapping a stranger on the shoulder and asking, "Will you be my friend?" It's definitely many different shades of awkward, but at least you meet a bunch of other people who are also doing the stranger shoulder-tapping, so it's some comfort.

After a very long journey, we finally landed in dusty Malawi. The reason it was so long is that we took a long way around and had a four-hour delay. We flew to Qatar, were delayed, and then flew to Johannesburg, and then flew to Malawi. If you are among those who would like to visit, I would recommend the nonstop flight from New York to Johannesburg, and then you only have a 2-hour flight to Lilongwe, Malawi.

Unfortunately, at each point of check-in (in Philly and in Johannesburg) we were questioned as to where our documents were to live in Malawi. Great. Good start, there. And, of course, being the kind new wife that I am, I did not share the fear with my new husband about why the school hadn't gotten this sorted beforehand.

BUT! It was the school's fault, for they had not received our paperwork yet, and so had given us nothing but had assured us it would be fine. (not the way I like to live, but I will most likely need to adjust in my new country here). The check-in folks were not all that bothered, and they simply overrode the system to let us in. But, as you can probably imagine. I went through all kinds of fear as we were worried we'd have to be stuck somewhere and not able to link up with those who were coming to meet us at the airport.

We finally arrived, and tired and broken that we were, we were greeted with friendliness by a few of the people who work at the school. They were super nice and had a few things sorted out for us already. But, apparently, they did not know we had a cat. Another sarcastic Great. James had told many people about it, but apparently, they did not communicate it to the one person who needed to know, nor did we know which person did what. Frustrating. So, they had to move us to a new house that would accept pets. Very sad we were to have to say goodbye to what looked like an amazingly well-furnished apartment to find ourselves in one...less so.

But, we were given the gift of Mnumzane, which made up for what lacked here in our new space. Suffering from crazed timezone weariness and my usual daily dose of anxiety, I awoke the next morning in our new house to a varied field of emotions. Also, we had overslept and missed the morning shopping in which I hoped to find the things I need as well as the answers to the millions of questions that swirled in my brain. My dear new husband was the sad victim to my tears and moments of despair. For...where was our washing machine? Where was the WiFi? Where were proper sheets, a chest of drawers, a bookshelf, the shower curtain rod, the shower curtain, water from the tap I can drink, and so much more?? How do you sleep under a mosquito net that doesn't fit your bed with your cat constantly trying to go in and out of it, and you find it stuck to your mouth? How could we live such a life?

Isn't he a lucky man to have chosen such a bride? I feared that I would be left to the isolating world of the compound, while he floated away to school to get all the answers (which he might forget to share with me), and I would have nothing to do all day (without WiFi). But, as it usually does, the anxiety slowed to a dull simmer, and now we are back to normal, slowly finding the rhythm of this extremely relaxed lifestyle. I still do not know many things, but it's helpful to remind myself that it will take a lot of time to learn all of these new things. It will take time to find pieces to decorate our house with. It will take time to develop friendships and find good social activities (I've already had a few bouts of tears about that too, don't worry), and it will take us both time to get into a good rhythm with our work and our daily lives.

Let's focus on the good things before it appears that I'm a constant teary mess. Mnumzane adjusted insanely well, and we have had no issues with him. He was simply very happy to see us, and he is loving the new amount of space. He has even met the compound dogs and is making his way outside. Thank goodness, for I'm hoping to be rid of the smell of the litterbox in my "study". Also, we came at such a good time of year. The weather is cool in the mornings and evenings but lovely and warm in the day time. There are plenty of sports and social things to do. The people in our compound have been very nice and helpful (all women). I may work as a sub occasionally for the school which will help me get out of the house a bit more, have a taste of coworkers (my greatest desire!) and also have a greater connection to the school, which will be nice when hearing about James' work life. We have someone who comes and cleans the house, so then I can just worry about my usual worries and don't have to add any more in (too full at the moment!). We can find the things we need for the most part. Everyone in the area is smiley and friendly, and when they ask "How are you?", you almost want to tear up because it sounds like they really want to know how you are!

It's a lovely place, and I know we will soon make it our home, but it is tough at these beginning stages. James has been a rock, and he seems to enjoy his new coworkers and the school. School starts tomorrow, and then we'll be in an official routine! I have to keep writing that phrase everywhere in all of my notes so that I don't forget it. "It takes time". I should write it across my forehead. I think it's easy to put a lot of pressure on yourself to fit in right away and feel comfortable right away because who likes feeling uncomfortable? But, that just makes it worse. And, I feel like being 30, I need to be perfect at everything right away and have a great house and have everything totally sorted. But, that is just not to be.

I find myself still missing the wedding in a way because that was fun and we didn't have to think about the emotions it takes to move to a new country just yet. But, we have scheduled a honeymoon at last! We will be heading to Lake Malawi for a week and treating ourselves to a lovely, beautiful, romantic stay at an amazing resort on the water! Yay! We'll need it after such a hectic time of moving to wedding to moving.

Will keep you updated on how things continue to pan out! Sorry if this is a bit jumbled, but I'm a bit jumbled these days! With the new people I'm meeting, I find myself saying things that don't make sense or drifting off during conversations. ah! Hopefully, they can overlook it and still be my friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

What Month Is It?

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?