Back to the Grind

I thought I would continue this "tradition" of the past 2 years in blogging about sweet nothings. I just enjoy describing my life situations in a dry, sarcastic manner too much as well as pretending to be jaded and that I've "had a hard life" as my mother would say.

So...I have come down in the world, sadly. Or so it feels like I have. My contract has ended in my super-cool-exciting Middle East job, and now I have returned to plain old 'Merica. Now, don't get me wrong, I was happy to return because I missed my home country and being able to use the tap water to brush my teeth. But, unfortunately, I have a traveling issue. It needs to happen, and it needs to be done, and if my traveling needs are not meant, I suffer from the most incredible yearning. It's really quite troublesome, and it interferes with regular life and being a regular person.

Therefore, I arrived home in July, and then headed out to South Africa in August. Even a month was too long! My boyfriend is South African, and I went out to visit for 2 long, beautiful weeks before he had to return to the school where I was previously employed.
Now, there is a lot of controversy about South Africa. People always have a feeling about it, but what I experienced was nothing but loveliness. Gorgeous countryside with rolling hills and steep mountains, breathtaking oceans with foamy crested waves, and fresh, well-made food. I traveled from Cape Town to Jeffreys Bay, Coffee Bay, and then Durban (where he's from). I also went and stayed at Lake Navarrone in the Drakensberg Mountains and went to a game reserve called Hluhluwe (a Zulu word for the name of a certain rope-like plant). It was just as I'd hoped it would be, and it started to feel normal to see zebras and rhinos, jaw-dropping views, and monkeys in your house. It's a wonderful place to vacation, and I would suggest it to anyone.

But, moving on. I must float calmly down from Cloud 9 to share the drab reality of my current situation. (Sigh). It really was quite heartbreaking to have to return since I didn't really have any ideal job situations lined up. I went from a dreamy vacation to a concrete wall of boring ho-hum adulthood. I've moved down to DC to live with my sister and brother-in-law (my saviors!), and I'm looking for jobs. I've just taken a math test to be a part-time math tutor, so we'll see how that pans out. But, I could end up doing anything! I've applied to the most random jobs. I now understand even more how difficult it is to up and move to an entirely new place with no or hardly any connections! Thank God for my sister!

But...I desperately need to take my own advice. That's why I named my new blog the way I did. To remind me. It is up to us to choose and make the life we want! It's turning out so much differently than I ever expected, which is exciting, but unnerving. And, I've got to work hard to make it just the kind of life I want. Hopefully there will be some traveling interspersed in there.
Easter Island anyone? (dreammmm)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

What Month Is It?

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?