Africa is Not a Country

And so it begins--the repeated cliches bang around your brain: "Back to the grind, back into the swing of things." My vacation has now come to an end. I've returned from Cloud 9 in the far off land of South Africa to about a bajillion miles west and about 50 degrees colder and to 50 boxes on my desk. I had the amazing opportunity to visit my wonderfully generous South African boyfriend (James) in his hometown, once again, to attend his brother's wedding and generally meet and hang out with the extended family. It was a beautiful time. It was just what I needed to cure the ailments of 4 months of long-distance relationship as well as the general life-changing events of moving, getting a new job, etc.

Side note: I've been given the strict explanation of how Africa should not be used in the context of it being one whole country that's all the same. For example, "In Africa, people do this...blah blah blah" doesn't make sense. Africa is HUGE as is evident by the amount of time it takes to travel across it. Since most of us have grown up in the church, we only see the rural and poor parts of it, but it's incredibly diverse. South Africa was an amazing place that had cool trendy cities as well as rural villages and awe-inspiring scenery. It's quite the place to have a vacation! Because of my South African experience, I'd love to see more of the continent. It's become my new dream to visit Windhoek, Namibia. I've been told it's like a remake of an old German town, cobblestones and all. While I was in South Africa, I sometimes forgot I was there because of its landscape similarity to home with the mountains, hills, and green forests. Until randomly, it's "Baboon!" and then you remember where you are. It's an incredibly breathtaking country, end to end. No one can deny that. Seriously, everyone get over your fear of long flights and visit it. You won't regret it.

Back to my vacation...As I felt the warm summer sun (in December, if you can believe it) and let myself just enjoy the still moments, I felt as though I became myself again. The self that laughs and enjoys and dreams. Now, to James' frustration, I could blame my happy mood on my recent dosage of Milk Thistle (a miracle worker!), but to be fair, it was me, relaxing and savouring my time. I know that South Africa is a very far away, and the flight is a horrendously long, but it actually doesn't bother me. That's how I know I'm a true traveler at heart. The moments before your flight when you're walking around the airport with your chocolate and your nuts, and you get to see all of the cities on the digital screens, and it fills you with excitement. Tokyo, Seoul, Paris, San Salvador...Just think of the possibilities. And then to my own digitally displayed destination: Johannesburg. Yes, I know, how exotic of me. For a small-town girl who foreigners think is Amish, I think I've done pretty well. And, then the best part is at the end, when you've come to the last leg of your journey, and you're about as crusty and dried up as one can get, and the plane slowly descends and circles round the city you're about to enter. Once again, another adventure! I see the city lights and the coastline and it makes my blood rush. I can feel it moving through my veins, and I feel infused with new life. (Or maybe that's the wine I've been drinking...just kidding). Adventure has become scrawled on my heart, and I can't get over the freshness of new and exciting places. It took my despairing winter heart, warmed it once again, and reminded it of all it knows. Kerilee was back.

Now, let's not discount the fact that I was nervous as all get out to see my boyfriend after 4 long months apart, but it made it all the more exciting. The trip was a whirlwind of wedding festivities, as well as meeting all of the family, and then heading to the mountains to stay in cabins, go on hikes, swim in the lake, and paddle around in boats. It was everything a vacation should be, and I had the excellent opportunity to further my growing enjoyment of red wine.

The second best part about traveling is the coming home part. I agree entirely with the whole post-holiday blues thing, but coming home to see the people you love and that love you is also wonderfully sweet. You get to come home almost as a new person, with fresh looks and fresh perspectives, prepared to share with anyone who asks and a ready smile on your face when you  look back at what wonderful experiences you had. You have to go away sometimes so people will miss you and remember how awesome you are. ;). So, I suggest travel to anyone who's feeling the least bit downtrodden. It will refresh you like no other.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

What Month Is It?

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?