Christmas Away From Home

This was one of the things I feared most as a child: as well as my dollhouse being stolen, being "called by God" to be a missionary, and being murdered by someone who hides behind the shower curtain (that fear still remains). But yes, I am 27 now, and this is my first Christmas away from my family. It was a really really hard thing to swallow, and I wouldn't have been able to have gotten over it quickly without James' help.

Lucky for me, I must have used some wily power to change a Grinch to a Mr. Christmas. He knew I was quite disappointed about not being able to go home, so he's done his best to try to make it really nice. We went and got a fake Christmas tree for his house, decorated it with loads of baubles and lights, and even hung other decorations in his house. We gave ourselves a Christmas budget and our Christmas lists, and off we went. We've planned a Christmas day meal with precision. (I will be doing the fun and easy things: gluten free sugar cookies and rolls and a salad). So, now, when he goes over to the tree loaded with wrapped gifts at the bottom and covered in twinkling lights, he smiles.

The air has been a little chillier lately too!--think 50s and 60s-- so that has also helped to make it more Christmas like. And, shockingly, deeper into the city, there are Christmas decorations up! There is a big tree, a Christmas market, decorations on certain shop windows and billboards, and even in my school there are trees, poinsettias, Christmas songs during lunch, and a Santa that handed out chocolates. I even wore my Santa hat on Friday to get more into the spirit.

So, I have done my best. I love Christmas-best holiday. I've done all my usual Christmas spirit things: hung decorations, baked cookies, and watched cheesy romantic Christmas films. James and I are even going to a Christmas Eve mass tonight in the city. 10pm. Thank goodness it's not midnight! And on Christmas morning, we will open stockings, have breakfast, and do the gift exchange. It will feel as though I am back home, even if just a little bit. Family, I miss you all! This seems too adulty for my taste, but I wish you all a Merry Christmas and that you can enjoy the warmth and coziness of it no matter where you are in the world!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

What Month Is It?

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?