Settling In

November was my first real full month as a freelance writer, and it's gone by so quickly and has been quite the adventure! I've had a few disappointments such as rejections or some writing jobs not working out or being what I hoped, but they're nothing in comparison to what lovely success I've had! At this point, I'm defining success in making enough money to support myself with my writing work!
I work for two main websites: Skyscanner Singapore and Free Homeschool Deals, but I am also the lucky recipient of two recent jobs: one with a cat blog, and one with a women's dating online magazine! I have been very blessed to be able to get these chances. I'm learning a lot about how to deal with people (virtually--real life is too scary! ;)), and I'm learning a lot about myself and my style. Well, when your "business" is a population of one, you get a lot of 'me' time--no complaints there.

Fun facts I've gleaned working as a freelance writer:
-I LOVE to be alone. If I have an issue with myself, I can sit myself down to have a chat about it. If I am happy with myself, I can have a little party with myself. And, if I have an issue I'm thinking about or trying to figure out, I can talk to myself about it (which is happening more and more in public on the street--problem?)

-My cat is the best. It's crazy to think about developing a relationship with a cat. Stanley and I were together since he was young, so it was only natural he'd get close to me. But, we adopted Mnumzane as a 2-year-old, so it's strange to see how he has attached himself to me more now that we spend all day every day together. I know, I know, people can say this about dogs all day long and not have it sound weird, and cats get a bad rap. But, James was right. He wanted me to not get too lonely at home (he must not have realized I love to be alone), and so he suggested we get a cat. And Mnumzane has been my faithful companion, sitting on my lap as I write away all day. I've started talking to him more now too. Which is worse: talking to myself on the street or having a one-sided conversation with a cat? At least I can answer myself.

-You can watch TV WHILE you do work. I have always been this way, but I didn't realize it would continue through this new job. I like to have the TV on when I do things I might find boring or stressful: folding laundry or doing homework and now doing freelance work. I only do this for my editing, more robotic-like work because it's a little boring, but I have had a great time watching cheesy Christmas movies all day and working at the same time. Jealous, anyone?

-I've realized what people mean by "Fake it 'til you make it." I've already realized what people meant by the other cliche "When you know, you know", but they're both true! They're shockingly true! It's not really in my nature (annoyingly enough) to be like "Yes, I am great! I am a brilliant writer and everyone wants to hire me!" I will never be this way, and my family knows that I will provide 1000 disclaimers before sharing any of my writing. BUT, this you must not do when trying to apply for a new job or writing an "audition piece" for a company. You just have to write it, believe in it, and click Send. When I have an interview, I discuss myself and experience confidently and clearly, and I keep my head held high! I do so even if inside, I'm like, "yeah I know, I'm still a little girl, playing dress up as a freelance writer, but you don't have to know that, buddy."
And it works!! I have applied to jobs I didn't think I would get or written pieces I didn't think would be very good, and when I just click send and believe, fakely, that I can do this or that it's good, it actually has worked! Of course, I still get rejections and people not liking my writing pieces, but I've had so much more success than I expected, simply by just putting myself out there. I guess I got tired of being afraid. The fear continues, but it's like an old friend, always there, and now I just accept that and just push through.

But, one negative thing that has come from my new career lifestyle is that I don't really wear normal clothes. I find myself mixing and matching, like wearing nice winter sweaters with athletic clothes. This morning I went down to the shop with flip flops, yellow sports shorts, a multi-colored nice tank top, and a long knee-length winter cardigan, with my hair kind of askew. The doorman must think I'm crazy. I've had a few people who knew me from last year, like my wine guy or my dry cleaner ask me, "no work this year?" ...so, clearly, the clothes make the woman. I realized the other day that no one else dresses this way. Sure, in the US, I've seen this happen in a city. People go to the convenience store in their pajamas or sweats. But, here, everyone's just dressed in normal clothes everywhere, and there's this freak sweater lady coming on in buying her wine or bringing her dry cleaning. I'm hoping to eventually institute a work clothes policy, but the apathy is just too strong. Wish I could apply "fake it 'til you make it" to this situation.

Despite the awkward sweater use and intense love for my cat, I finally find that I'm becoming more settled, calmer, and more myself than I've ever been! Every day I hear this in my head, "This was the right choice." I followed my gut, and here I am now: faking it and convincing people to let me write for them. It's absolutely brilliant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

What Month Is It?

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?