What Month Is It?

My apologies that I didn't get a post out in March, but I'm sure you can understand. The world has been taken by storm! Or a virus, I should say, and we've all been in a tizzy trying to figure out what's going on and where to go.

We rushed to South Africa in order to be with James' parents. We were planning on spending Spring Break with them in Malawi and Zambia anyway but due to unforeseen circumstances, that didn't work out. So we are here! Filling our days with what activities we can. (Our cat is busy making me jealous as he sits on my neighbor's laps back in Malawi and shares his love with people besides me. Traitor.)

Here in South Africa, we are in lockdown. I mean real-deal prison lockdown, none of this light request of social distancing kind of lockdown. No leaving the house unless you need to: groceries, medical things. We can't even walk outside or buy alcohol! You will find me here slowly moving out further and further into the lawn trying to find new places to be. I think I'm subconsciously moving closer to their gate and will, one day, begin to shake it wildly. It's not the place; it's not the people. It's just the feeling of being trapped and having no idea when it will end.

All four of us are eyeing the alcohol supply we have and slowly watching with horror as it gets lower and lower, hoping against hope that South Africa will ease up on that restriction at least. There have been dozens of break-ins into liquor stores since the lockdown began. And this is South Africa! The place where I learned that it's not a mortal sin to have a gin at 11 am. I mean this is not Quaker, Puritan land. What is going on?

Plus, this lockdown just got extended another two weeks. It has already been three weeks, and they've tacked on another few weeks just for a bit more fun. The government challenge is "Citizens, see how many times you can play Scrabble!" This doesn't sound so bad, but after six weeks, you can understand the issue. I feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster. Each day in lockdown is different. Some days you wake up, and you're like "Wow! How nice! I can read by the pool for hours. Ain't got nothin' on my sched!" And you cruise through, feeling good. But other days you wake up, and you literally feel as if you're in Groundhog Day.

I get angry at my yoga video lady because, at the end of each morning session, she says in that light, yogi voice, "I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day." I wish I could say back to her, "Lady, there is nothing to do! My next activity is to drink tea and stare longingly at the gate from 8 to 9!"

I think we're slowly going insane. I look at a picture of my cat every day and say "Hello, boy." I say cool jokes to my in-laws like "Sooooo...what's everyone doing this weekend?" James and I played cricket yesterday with a hackysack and a metal water bottle. I started doing face yoga. I am jealous of monkeys as they clamber on telephone wires and taunt me with their freedom outside the gate. And plus! After this lockdown, no one will have anything new to talk about. My first conversation piece will be, "So, I know how to play bridge now." And that's it! That's the end of the convo. I think once it's over, everyone will just start guzzling alcohol to ease the awkward tension and enjoy the freedom to drink without fear of it running out.

Maybe we should start stocking up on good conversation topics now to prepare for that inevitable end of lockdown party. Oo another activity to add to my lockdown schedule. Let's put it between pretending to write things in my planner and texting people about my cat. I wish you well as we all endure the slow descent into madness. Of course, it will all hopefully be worth it! Please stay safe, healthy, and of course "hydrated"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?