Confessions of a Kind of Former Semi-Party Girl

I'm finally getting the chance to take the time to sit and write a more well-formed detailed blog entry. As life would have it, we no longer have internet in our house because we were being cheap and using a hot spot that cut out on us. So, I'm sitting outside at a "fancy" DC cafe with some newly made friends, finally having the chance to breathe after the whirlwind of the past few months.

And a whirlwind it has been: new location, new job, new apartment, new acquaintances, new routines, new cultural reintroduction, new socially awkward moments, new adult life problems. But at last, I can say that my comfort level is rising slowly but surely, and I'm forming routines. I find myself making cheesy work jokes with coworkers and being able to join in on the work goss. I love the feeling of my OWN house key in my hand as I head home at the end of the day. I actually had a housewarming party last night with my roommate, and even though 95% of the people were her friends, I, Kerilee Nickles, came through with an invite. I invited a work friend, and they brought a friend of theirs. So, at last, in this strange new world, I am beginning to assimilate. I'm hanging on to that 5%. :)

We spent the evening in lively witty repartee/political discussion as well as house tours that last a total of  2.5 seconds. DC is not quite what I expected, but I've found some suitable guides that have opened my eyes to its coolness and possibility. The character-full coffee shop: that's what I missed so much when living in Sharjah. You could drink coffee at places there, but the places were basically made of metal and sand bits. No character, no old feel! Unless it's like a Bible-timesy (or I should say Q'uran-timesy) type of feel. And, when you've got your lap top and earphones, and a cup of tea, you're not looking for a cobblestone wall, goat hair tent, old men smoking hooka kind of place. But now my dreams are being fulfilled! I just drank loose leaf Earl Grey that was steeped in a special steeper and ate an avocado and quinoa bowl. Oh, America: you are like a welcoming old friend to my previously sweaty and sandy soul.

Now to the meat of this post. I had to hear the harsh news. My life will be different now. My sister broke it to me one evening when I was confused by my lack of weekend activities and friends. And it was a tad disappointing. What? I won't be able to always have zillions of parties to go to or spend my money on weekend boozy brunches? I won't be able to be blond and tan all the time and have 20 dresses in my closet that get used every weekend? I have to pay for things like rent and taxes? What is this--I struggled with feelings of regret about this choice. If presented with both life options, wouldn't YOU take the one that provides a tax-free income and party lifestyle as opposed to this more demure coffee-shop, occasional hangouts, type of life? Ah, but I digress.

Sadly, life cannot be the same. And, it is not simply through my own choice, but time is beginning to change the physical ability of my former semi-party girl self. At 26, I can still get away with dancing all night and listening to super cool pop music and talk to people about going out places and be considered "young". But...something has happened. Two drinks take me away to a drunken place and three starts to make me see double. 5 or more drinks my body will literally refuse to accept. 3 am has become an insane zombie hour of night that no one should experience, instead of a cool regular time to roll in to your apartment at the end of the party. I start to feel fatigued at about 10 pm on weeknight and angrily (yet gladly) take myself to bed. What has become of me? I've suddenly crossed over realms and have entered the world of quiet dinner parties with wine being super cool and fun and a night without dancing still being able to be a good night. You meet people for lunch because it might be too late and wearing on your grandma body to meet them for dinner during the week. Getting a good night sleep becomes the all-important priority of life. 7 am feels like sleeping in. Now, I was never the type of party girl where you'd find me every Saturday morning sleeping out by a shady car park not being able to remember my name or what happened the evening before. But, I was hardcore for me. Great; now I sound like an 80 year old woman saying to her grandchildren, "I was good in the old days." If a shy, uncomfortable, rule-following, late bloomer young girl can be involved in dance battles to hip hop songs on dark dance floors and drink tequila in beach bars around southeast Asia, I'd say that's an achievement. But, now I need to adjust to this new life. My sister says it doesn't have to be sad or bad, just different. I shouldn't expect it to be as thrilling and exciting as it once was, and my body seems to agree with her.

This has all started to hit me at different times in my experience here: when I was sitting home alone on a Friday night at an internet-less house, wondering what I've done with my life; when I got into a discussion with someone about which brand of paper towels and toilet paper we've found to be best in our experience; and when I had two beers at a house dinner and felt my voice getting high and shrilly and "drunk girl annoying".

So, we shall see what happens. In contradictory news, I did end up last night at a random EDM DJ concert with people, danced, and arrived home around 2, so perhaps not all is lost! But, boy, am I paying for it today like an old decrepit woman. :). But, I look forward to heading to bed around 9 pm this evening. Don't judge me. Semi-party girl out, aging DC occasional going out girl in?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

What Month Is It?

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?