Happy Mother's Day

Even though I'm only 27, I still feel like I'm the last of an antiquated generation--those who had a free and amazing childhood that is, these days, almost the stuff of myths.
My parents pushed us. They wanted us to do well, and they expected a lot of us. But, they wanted so much for us. They wanted us to be free, independent, and to have fun. They always encouraged me to push myself out of my comfort zone. They wanted me to try new things, explore opportunities, and to get the most out of my experiences!

I may honestly be one of the last people around who truly had a Mayberry-like childhood. And it was heaven. I played in the park, rode bikes, made teepees and forts outside, created culinary mixtures, went to bonfires, played card games, went camping and watched the stars, and listened to the sound of the crickets at night. I spent summer evenings on a back porch, watching the fireflies gather. I went bowling, went to awesome church events, met new people, made great friends, and didn't spend my childhood in front of a television, iPad, or cellphone. I was outside; I was doing things, and the longer I'm away from home, the more I recognize the beauty of it.

I have taught rich kids for the past 3 years. They are often spoiled with either absent parents or parents who are too involved. Many of these kids are living in countries where there isn't a lot for them to do...In Sharjah, there weren't great parks or hiking trails to go to. They couldn't ride their bikes around down to the river and play house. In Taiwan, these kids are sucked into video games, cinemas, and their texting blather. And, what's sad is many of them don't get to spend a lot of time with their parents. Their parents are either too busy with work, have them board at school, or do not wish to spend time with their children. Lots of students have to go to tutoring on the evenings or the weekends, getting extra subject help or English help or going to music lessons or sports. They often don't even have the time to hang out with their friends and just be kids. Here, the focus is to build and construct a qualified person, but they forget to have fun or to develop an awesome personality.

And that's what I loved about my parents and my childhood. They wanted me to do well and to gain experiences, but they also wanted me to be someone. They wanted me to become well-rounded, be interesting, and to be kind. And, my mother was awesome. She let me play and be free. She allowed my imagination to flourish and for me to have the most fun in my childhood. She loved that I wanted to hang out with friends, go on church trips, be a part of musicals and sports teams, and to just be a kid. She gave me that gift, and it has made all the difference. And, the more I am away from home and work with students from different places and backgrounds, the more I appreciate where I came from. I didn't have a mother who hovered over me with my school work or forced me into things that weren't good for me or pandered to my every desire. She was strong, and she wanted me to be strong too. And every idea I have ever had, no matter how scary, she has been there and supported me throughout. Her goal was for us to want to "leave the nest" and be free to be our own people. From bike riding in Akron Park to teaching in Taipei, Taiwan, my mother has given me such amazing strength and guidance. Because of her, I have been able to guide myself on my own pathway. Thank you, Mom. Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Dropped the Ball

What Month Is It?

Blissful February--Inspiration Wherefore Art Thou? + Mosquitoes, Wherefore Art Thou Not?